HOUSTON SCHOOL DISTRICT Residency Verification/Registration 2016-2017
In accordance with the requirements of the Mississippi State Board of Education’s Residency Verification Procedures, each parent or legal guardian, with whom a student lives, must officially register the student and provide a copy of the following items of verification of residence in Houston School District to the school administration. This applies to every student — even if they attended school in the Houston School District last year.
Houston School District will host district-wide residency verification in one location this year!
All parents will report to the Houston Middle School Commons Area to verify residency within the district according to the schedule below:
Students whose last name begins with the letters A-M in all grades will verify:
Date: Tuesday, July 26th Time: 11:00 A.M.– 7:00 P.M. Where: HMS Commons Area
Students whose last name begins with the letters N-Z in all grades will verify:
Date: Thursday July 28th Time: 11:00 A.M– 7:00 P.M. Where: HMS Commons Area
Residency Verification Requirements Two current proofs of residency from the list below are required for verification. The term “current” is defined as two months or sooner.
• Filed Homestead Exemption Application Form
• Mortgage Documentation
• Rental or Lease Documentation
• One copy of a Home Utility Bill (Must be a current bill and the physical address must be stated on the Automobile Registration:
If you are temporarily living with someone who resides in the district, the parent/guardian must comply with each item listed below:
• An affidavit of residency
• The home owner/renter named on the affidavit must provide 2 current residency proofs from the list above.
• A personal visit by a designated school official may be required before a student is enrolled.
• All enrollments for students using an affidavit or residency are temporary and may be reviewed by a designated school official 60 days after initial enrollment.
*Schedules/Homeroom assignments will be issued to students upon completion of residency verification.
Houston School District is in compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Information from a student’s school record will not be released to any other party without written consent of the parents or the student if 18 years of age. The only exception to this is when the request comes from another public school to which the student is transferring. In this case, Houston School District will honor the request without parent or student release. To ensure that the school records are accurate and not in violation of the privacy or other rights of a student, the students have the right and will be given the opportunity, upon request, to inspect and challenge the contents of the records. They will be given every opportunity for correction and deletion of any inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise inappropriate data contained therein.